Wednesday 14 August 2013

The Freedom To Express: A note I read out on the Independence Day celebration at my daughter's school.



More than 66 years back a nation full of people had fought for Independence. What was this struggle for independence all about?  It was about Freedom. Freedom from colonial rule, freedom from oppression, freedom for democracy. But above all it was for freedom of expression.

That was 66 years back… a nation’s struggle for its right to express.  Today as I stand here as a citizen of that very nation and as a parent of a four year old I would like to share with all of you what I feel is the importance of this right to expression in our as well as our childrens’ lives.

A little boy falls down while playing. He starts to cry. His parent rushes to pick him up. The parent, sometimes lovingly and sometimes sternly says to the little crying boy “don’t cry, you are a brave boy, brave boys don’t cry.”  Another scenario: A little girl is playing, exploring ways to balance on the see-saw beam or standing on the swing and swinging or going too fast on the merry-go-round. The parent is constantly warning her not to do these actions. The little girl still keeps repeating them and at one time falls and hurts herself. She starts to cry. The parent rushes to her and picks her up trying to figure out if the child has been seriously hurt or not. As the parent does this he/she keeps on telling to the little girl. “I told you so. You didn’t listen to me. Now see you have got hurt. That is what happens for not listening. What is the point of crying now.  Stop crying like a baby and next time don’t do like this.”

Crying is the most natural way of expressing pain, grief, sadness. Let the child relieve himself/herself of the pain then and there instead of bottling it up under the garb of bravery or reprimanding disobedience, only to return later as rage and anger. When a child is hurt and is crying he or she is expressing his or her emotions through the most natural way. Let us allow our children to cry and do what is most natural to humans when they get hurt or are in pain.

 Let our children express. For the more they express the more clear they are of their own emotions. If they are afraid let them express the fear, if they are angry let them express the anger, if they are upset let them express the reason for being so, if they are not in consent with you let them express their dissent. Don’t stop the child from laughing aloud even when you find no reason behind it, don’t stop the child from loudly expressing his/her opinion for you will only muffle his/her voice further. Let them sing when they want to sing, let them dance when they want to dance. As a parent we will have to sacrifice sometimes to give our children that space. But then so did our freedom fighters sacrifice their lives for a nation where we could express ourselves and not live in oppression.

A couple of days back my daughter got angry with me for not allowing her to watch Tv beyond a stipulated time. She got very upset and angry and told me that I was very bad and she did not like me at all. I let her be upset and angry for I would too if I were a child who was asked to switch off Tv while watching my favourite programme! A few days later when I made one of her favourite dish she looked up at me with a smile and said “ Mumma I love you very much but there are times when I don’t and I get very angry with you!” I was surprised and elated, both at the same time, when I heard this. I was not upset but instead felt a sense of deep relief and joy to know that my little daughter was able to understand her emotions and express it as well. A quality if developed further would help her in growing up as a wholesome individual who is aware of her emotions and self.

When our freedom fighters fought for the freedom of our nation they were just not fighting for the end of colonial rule but they had a larger vision in mind. A vision which they knew had to be gradually worked towards. The vision of a democratic nation where freedom of expression would play a vital role. As parents too we need to keep the larger spectrum of bringing up emotionally wholesome children. And for this we too need to give our children the space, opportunity and time to develop in them the ability to understand, differentiate and express their emotions without any fear or inhibitions, to give them a life where they can be fearless in making choices and mistakes and grow up as confident, compassionate and responsible adults. If we can do this then truly we can be proud of the freedom and independence that our nation attained 66 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment